Founded in 1983, Flowmaster is an industry-leading car parts manufacturer. The California-based company now has a strong relationship with Holley, a performance products manufacturing company.
Nearly all Flowmaster’s products are available through Holley’s website.
Flowmaster creates various car parts – complete exhaust systems, mufflers, catalytic converters, and mufflers. The most popular product sold by Flowmaster is its exhaust system.
The average price for a Flowmaster exhaust system is $834.35.
- Average Cost of a Flowmaster Exhaust System
- Average Cost of a Flowmaster Exhaust System Plus Installation
- How Does the Cost of a Flowmaster Exhaust System Compare to Other Brands?
- Does Flowmaster Offer Discounts?
- Types of Exhaust Systems
- Outlaw Series
- American Thunder
- The Cost of An American Thunder Exhaust System
- Compared to the Outlaw Series, American Thunder is more versatile in regard to specifications. It’s available in cross member, cat, and axle-back system types.
- Moreover, the tubing type ranges from 2.25 inches in diameter to 4 inches, with one-half increments in-between. The sound levels available include aggressive, aggressive-moderate, moderate, and moderate-mild.
- These exhaust systems fit multiple engines, including SOHC, 4.8L, 5.0L, 5.3L, and v8 engines.
- DBX Series
- The Cost of a DBX Series Exhaust System
- Out of all Flowmaster’s exhaust system brands, the DBX series has the most limited selection – five products in total. The systems fit the Toyota Tacoma, Mazda Miata, and Dodge Dart.
- Customers can select from aggressive-moderate, mild, and moderate sound levels. The systems only come in 2.25-inch and 3-inch tubing diameters.
- Each exhaust system has Flowmaster’s proprietary Laminar Flow technology.
- Force II
- Cost to Install an Exhaust System
- Steps to Install a Flowmaster Exhaust System
- Other Products Sold by Flowmaster
- A Final Glance at the Cost of Flowmaster Products
Average Cost of a Flowmaster Exhaust System
Flowmaster sells exhaust systems under five brands – the Outlaw Series, American Thunder, FlowFx, DBX Series, and Force II. The cheapest product line is the DBX series, with an average cost of $674.
On the other hand, the most expensive is the Outlaw Series, boasting an average price tag of $1,275.
When considering the costs of all the exhaust systems that Flowmaster sells, the high-end price estimate is $1,392.60, and the low-end estimate is $275.60.
Note: this does not include the cost of labor, only the price of the exhaust system.
Average Cost of a Flowmaster Exhaust System Plus Installation
Unless you’re a skilled mechanic, you’ll need to hire a professional to install your Flowmaster exhaust system.
Below is an estimate of what you can expect to pay for the exhaust system plus installation costs.
The labor cost greatly depends on what type of car you own and where you are in the country. According to CarMD, California has the highest hourly car labor cost, at $148.
On the other hand, Vermont has the lowest hourly price at $124.
How Does the Cost of a Flowmaster Exhaust System Compare to Other Brands?
We used CARiD, an automotive parts company, to determine the average cost and the high-end and low-end estimates for other exhaust systems.
Some exhaust systems feature titanium, for example, which increases the price. The average cost of a Flowmaster exhaust system is $3,644.70 lower than competing brands. Although the savings seem substantial, remember that no two exhaust systems are the same.
Does Flowmaster Offer Discounts?
Holley, the primary retailer that sells Flowmaster products, has frequent sitewide promotions with discounts ranging from 10 to 30%. Currently, you can get free shipping with the purchase of an exhaust system that costs more than $100.
Since an exhaust system can weigh up to 50 lbs., free shipping is a steal.
Types of Exhaust Systems
Flowmaster manufactures five different lines of exhaust systems – the Outlaw series, American Thunder, FlowFx, DBX Series, and Force II.
The Outlaw Series draws in drivers who want a thrilling exhaust with turbulent sounds. On the other hand, exhausts in the DBX Series are affordable options that perform well without going over the top.
Flowmaster’s Outlaw Series exhaust systems are a popular choice for sports car enthusiasts. Made with 409S stainless steel, these exhaust systems produce prominent sounds and are well suited for racers.
Because of the high noise level, the Outlaw Series is not for everyday street driving.
The Cost of an Outlaw Series Exhaust System
The Outlaw Series’ sound level ranges from aggressive to aggressive-moderate. This product line boasts both axle-back and cat-back system types.
And to ensure that these systems can accommodate a wide selection of vehicles, Flowmaster produces the exhaust systems in 2.5-, 3-, and 4-inch diameters.
Key Features of the Outlaw Series
- Produces roaring sounds for racers and car aficionados
- Enhances the vehicles throttle response
- You can choose from an axel-back or cat-back model
- It comes complete with the hardware
- Made with high-quality steel
As its name suggests, American thunder is another exhaust system that excels when it comes to sound. Dubbed the ‘original,’ American Thunder products have chambered mufflers to optimize performance and produce bold sounds.
Drivers can pick between two materials – stainless steel and aluminized steel. The aluminized steel exhaust systems are slightly more affordable than the stainless-steel alternative.
The Cost of An American Thunder Exhaust System
These exhaust systems fit multiple engines, including SOHC, 4.8L, 5.0L, 5.3L, and v8 engines.
Key Features of American Thunder
- It comes dyno tuned for optimal performance and air-fuel ratio
- Equipped with 16-gauge tubing
- Available in various sound types, ranging from moderate-mild to aggressive
- It comes with hardware that makes the installation process easier
- Made with either 409 stainless steel or aluminized steel
The FlowFx exhaust system produces a moderate sound without going overboard. However, it’s still a popular choice for those who want the characteristic performance of Flowmaster’s products.
This system is only available in one finish – 409S stainless steel. Depending on the exhaust, some have a darker matte, whereas a handful feature a more titanium-like appearance
The Cost of a FlowFx Exhaust System
Even though FlowFx only comes in stainless steel, there’s still a bit of variety related to the system’s other specifications. Drivers can choose from aggressive, aggressive-moderate, moderate, and moderate-mild sound types.
There a two different exhaust types that Flowmaster sells – an axle and cat-back. The tubing diameter ranges from 2.25 to 3 inches.
Flowmaster makes this system for a variety of engine types, including 5.0L and 6.4L Hemi engines.
Key Features of FlowFx
- It comes with straight-through mufflers
- Produces deep and prominent sounds
- Available in both axle and cat-back styles
- Made with 409S stainless steel
- Sound type ranges from moderate-mild to aggressive
Regarded as one of the more conservative brands, the DBX Series exhaust system aims to reduce inside noise. Flowmaster designs these systems with four- and six-cylinder engines in mind.
Despite being for smaller engines, DBX Series systems still produce optimal performance and feature a clean stainless-steel exterior. The systems come with polishing tips that you can use to brighten the steel.
Compared to the more aggressive options sold by Flowmaster, the DBX Series is much more affordable.
The Cost of a DBX Series Exhaust System
Each exhaust system has Flowmaster’s proprietary Laminar Flow technology.
Key Features of the DBX Series
- Designed for smaller engine models
- Made with stainless steel
- Sound level ranges from aggressive-moderate to moderate
- It fits four different types of vehicles
- Manufactured with Laminar Flow technology
The last line of exhaust systems by Flowmaster is Force II. With over Force II products available, this is one of Flowmaster’s most expansive product lines.
Force II exhaust systems are best suited for those who want a gentle sound for day-to-day driving. These systems won’t attract as much attention as the others.
Flowmaster manufactures the Force II brand for various types of vehicles – SUVs, trucks, and sedans.
The Cost of a Force II Exhaust System
Drivers can select from exhaust systems made from either stainless or aluminized steel. Moreover, the Force II system comes in mild, moderate, and moderate-mild sound levels.
The product comes in various system types, including axle, cat, cross member, and DPF back. Customers can choose from tubing diameters ranging from 2.25 to 4 inches.
Key Features Force II
- Produces a mild sound for daily driving
- Versatile design that fits SUVs, trucks, and sedans
- Made with stainless and aluminized steel
- It comes with hardware and hangers to simplify installation
- Boasts 16-gauge tubing
Cost to Install an Exhaust System
The average cost to install a Flowmaster exhaust system is $165. This average cost assumes that you already have all the parts and hardware needed to install the system.
Many people won’t have the tools and equipment on hand to install it themselves. And while it’s possible to install an exhaust system yourself, we recommend paying a mechanic to do it for you.
Depending on the labor cost where you live, you could pay up to $250 or as little as $80 to install a Flowmaster exhaust system.
Steps to Install a Flowmaster Exhaust System
If you want to install a system on your own or if you’re just curious about how the process works, below are the installation steps.
- Unscrew everything necessary to remove your car’s existing exhaust system
- Put on the new mounting brackets
- Plug in your next exhaust system, starting with the front and then transitioning to the back
- Make sure to tighten the new system in place securely
Other Products Sold by Flowmaster
As an industry-leading car parts company, Flowmaster doesn’t just sell exhaust systems. Flowmaster also sells the individual components of exhaust systems, such as mufflers and catalytic converters.
You can also find a variety of different car parts and accessories branded with the Flowmaster name.
Flowmaster sells mufflers for those that don’t need to replace their entire exhaust system. You can buy Flowmaster mufflers at various auto parts stores, including AutoZone and Advanced Auto Parts.
With a chambered design, Flowmaster mufflers give your car more power and noise.
Catalytic ConvertersNote: Prices shown are for street/strip vehicle, chambered, and moderate sound mufflers
The flagship auto parts company also sells direct-fit and universal catalytic converters. All Flowmaster’s converters adhere to USEPA requirements.
They also come with a 25,000-mile warranty on internal component emissions and a 50,000-mile warranty covering exterior casings.
Flowmaster sells roughly 50 different types of exhaust tips. Most of the tips feature a chrome or polished silver exterior.
The diameter of the tip ranges from 2 to 4 inches. Flowmaster manufactures various styles of tips, ranging from angle cut, dual-angle cut, and angled rolled edge.
Albeit not very popular nowadays, Flowmaster still sells a collection of gated shifters. The most popular shifter is the XDR Magnum Grip Gated Shifter.
This shifter features an ergonomic handle, black aluminum, and hardware that allows for easy setup.
X, Y, and H Pipes
As mentioned, Flowmaster sells virtually every component of an exhaust system, including X, Y, and H pipes. X-pipes are popular amongst those that want extra power, and H-pipes create a deep sound. On the other hand, the Y-pipe helps boost engine power.
The Flowmaster Delta Boost is an easy-to-use device with a Bluetooth application that’s compatible with both Android and iOS. With the tuner, you can tweak your engine’s boost between -4lbs and +4lbs., making it easy to personalize the horsepower.
A Final Glance at the Cost of Flowmaster Products
Best known for its wide selection of exhaust systems, Flowmaster offers car enthusiasts various auto performance parts for a fraction of the cost. The average price of a Flowmaster exhaust system is $834.34.
Compared to the competing average of $4,478.80, that’s over $3,500 in savings. On top of that, Flowmaster products often come with free shipping and generous warranties, making the purchase even a better deal.
You can buy Flowmaster products at a variety of retail outlets, both online and in person. To get the most for your money, always keep an eye out for frequent promotions.